We bought some second hand furniture for my daughter's room  a little while back. It looked pretty good at first, but after a while we noticed that the previous owner had touched it up. Whatever they used was impossible to clean. Every mess my daughter made just seemed to stay there, I was rarely able to wipe it clean. I was so tired of looking at it in this condition so I started exploring the option of buying new furniture. I quickly decided that I didn't want to spend a lot of money for furniture that will more than likely have a lot of wear over the years (She will be 9 in Jan). I have seen plenty of painted furniture on Pinterest.com which is where I got this idea.


Here is how I did it:






I used a Black and Decker electric hand sander on the top surface of the desk because there were a lot of imperfections and I wanted a smooth surface to paint.



I then used an enamel primer that the Sherwin Williams associate recommended and I let it dry overnight.
The next day I  started applying Marshmallow by Sherwin Williams to the parts I wanted white and SW Hibiscus by Sherwin Williams to the sections I wanted pink. I used an enamel with a gloss finish. I repeated another coat the following day.

     I am really happy with the results and so is my daughter. I am going to buy a few more things to decorate it  and probably some new hardware. The keyboard pullout is missing in the picture above because I will be replacing it completely with a new piece of wood, it was not salvageable. I also need to refinish her desk-chair and the rest of her bedroom furniture! This is the first time I have refinished a piece of furniture this large. I think I will be trying it a lot more since the end result was so great with this desk. I find myself looking around my house thinking "hmmm...what else can I paint?"